Pilates for Dancers
The dancers programme has evolved after our first term at GDA to offer a more advanced set of Pilates exercises to dancers aged 12 and over, right up to adult. Rather than do a programme, classes will run in a similar way to my usual timetable, with a different focus each week. We will take a few Pilates sequences and build up to doing the full advanced level exercise. Students will be encouraged to practise at home and will be given exercises tailored to them to help them progress, strengthen and adapt their bodies to reduce injury risk, increase core and key dancing muscle strength and encourage good alignment and technique.
As a dancer myself, I use Pilates to keep my body strong so I can keep up with the teenagers I dance with! Without Pilates, I really think I would be starting to think about calling it a day, but I feel as strong as I have always done, if not more.
Please either use the contact form to register your interest with me directly, or speak to the principal at GDA, Wendy Burke (Generations Dance Academy, 01480 434625).
What are the aims?
There are four key dancing areas that we are trying to make improvements to, with each of the classes planned to ensure these underlying aims are at the heart of each sequence. The areas are:
1. Improved balance through greater strength in the feet, legs and trunk
2. Enhanced fluidity from a strong, stable core so the limbs can be released to move freely
3. Increased strength and controlled flexibility in correct placement, to improve held extensions
4. More controlled and balanced turns
These areas will be improved through:
- Developing strong, stable feet and ankles
- Increasing core strength to align the pelvis and spine
- Building on dance foundation to create legs and hips that are strong and flexible with good turn out
- Working with breathing to increase muscle engagement which translate to better flow when dancing